How to Sell Your Infested House in Tampa, Florida Fast
Is there anything worse than an infested house? Whether it’s rats, termites, or something else entirely, it’s a cause of major concern. The cost of treating an infestation can be high. But the costs could rise if you choose to sell your infected house.
You’re probably wondering, “Can I still sell this house?”
The answer is yes. However, without the right guidance, you’ll face some uphill battles legally and in terms of selling. Below, we cover the ins and outs of selling an infested house in Tampa, from common causes of infestation to the best practices when putting a house on the market.
In this guide:
- What is an Infested House?
- Common Causes of Home Infestations
- Signs of a House Infestation
- How to Sell Your Infested House in Tampa
An infested house is any home dealing with bugs, rodents, or other unwanted pests. Sometimes, these infestations are short-lived if a homeowner identifies the problem and acts quickly. Other times, however, infestations can occur unbeknownst to the homeowner, spreading significantly before it is detected.
Bugs, like bed bugs or termites, in particular, are hard to detect and cause immense damage either to personal property or the structure itself.
Perhaps the most common infestation is mold. Common molds like Aspergillus, Cladosporium, and Stachybotrys pose a major issue not just for the property but also for human health. Such widespread mold outbreaks usually occur due to water leaks, poor ventilation, or cold, damp conditions.
Dealing with an infestation requires several visits from an exterminator. Worse, you may be asked to evacuate your house for anywhere from a few hours to several days. It all adds to the stress and expense of the experience.
Common Causes of Home Infestations
Infestations aren’t just as simple as a dirty home. While, yes, that is one potential cause of infestation, even the wrong house guest can bring bed bugs on their person or belongings. That being said, there are a few underlying issues, including:
- Food Residues: Leftover food, crumbs, and unsealed food containers can attract pests like ants, cockroaches, and rodents.
- Moisture and Water Leaks: Damp areas, such as those caused by leaking pipes or poor drainage, are ideal environments for pests like silverfish and termites.
- Cracks and Openings: Small cracks in walls, floors, or foundations, as well as gaps around windows and doors, can provide entry points for pests.
- Clutter and Debris: Cluttered areas and piles of debris or wood can serve as hiding spots and breeding grounds for pests like rodents and cockroaches.
- Unsanitary Conditions: Poor sanitation and hygiene, such as not regularly cleaning and disposing of garbage, can attract pests.
- Outdoor Attractants: Overgrown vegetation, standing water, and unsecured garbage bins outside the home can draw pests closer, increasing the risk of them entering the home.
But it’s not just what attracts them; it’s also the pests themselves. Some pests are relatively benign, e.g., silverfish, while others, like rats or termites, can cause immense damage. Rats are also severe vectors for dangerous diseases.
Signs of a House Infestation
The secret to any house infestation is simple: act quickly. Identifying the signs and collecting evidence is the best option. Not only does that help deal with the infestation, but it’s also crucial information for potential buyers or inspectors.
- Visible Pests: The most obvious sign is seeing the pests themselves, such as ants, cockroaches, rodents, or termites.
- Droppings or Waste: Finding pest droppings, urine trails, or other waste products can indicate an active infestation.
- Damaged Property: Signs of gnawing on furniture, wires, or walls, especially in corners or hidden areas, can suggest rodents. Holes or tunnels in woodwork can indicate termites.
- Unusual Sounds: Noises such as scratching, scurrying, or rustling in walls, floors, or ceilings can be a sign of rodents or larger insects.
- Nests or Hives: Finding nests in secluded areas, or hives for insects like bees and wasps, is a clear sign of an infestation.
- Odors: Unexplained, persistent odors, especially musty or foul smells, can be caused by pests’ nests, droppings, or even dead pests hidden in the house.
How to Sell Your Infested House in Tampa
So, you’re unable to deal with an infestation, and you want to sell up? Maybe you were planning to sell when you first discovered the problem. Whatever the reason, you can still sell your infested house in Tampa.
Address the Infestation
A recently cleared infestation is better than an ongoing one. Identify the type of infestation, hire a professional exterminator, and get rid of it as soon as possible. Most importantly, take the time to prevent its recurrence, detailing what you do for future evidence.
Part of this option is obtaining documentation from the extermination company proving that the problem is resolved.
100% transparency is the only option. Failing to disclose important details could open you up to a court case later down the line. Florida law requires sellers to disclose any known issues with the property, including past or present infestations.
Set a Realistic Price
Given the history of infestation, be somewhat flexible on the price. Research similar properties in Tampa to set a competitive price that reflects the property’s current condition.
That being said, you’ll still want to negotiate. Target buyers who are looking for a fixer-upper and emphasize your home’s best features.
Do What You Can
Even if an infestation is ongoing, take the time to do any necessary repairs, minimize the damage, and thoroughly clean the property before each viewing. Nobody imagines their dream house with rat droppings on the floor.
Sell Your Infested House in Tampa with Pavel Buys Houses
There’s one perfect option when selling your infested home. That’s a direct cash buyer. Pavel Buys House has a simple proposition: we buy your house in its current condition. No repairs. No commission. No hassles.
Simply fill out our form, and you’ll receive a cash offer today.
We Buy Homes for Cash All Over Tampa
Learn “How We Buy Houses” & Our Process
Step by step 100% transparent process explaining how we buy houses fast!
Meet the Team & Learn About Our Company
Discover the “Why” behind what we do & what makes our “We Buy Houses” company different.
Sell Your Florida Home to a Cash Home Buyer
Get My Cash OfferWe buy houses in any condition. We won't ask you to do any repairs or pay any fees. Request your cash offer today to get started!
What Type of Properties Do You Buy in Tampa?
We can buy all types of properties in Tampa, Florida, including:
- Single-family homes
- Multi-family homes
- Commercial properties
- Vacant land
We understand that selling a property can be challenging. That’s why we offer a fast and easy solution. We can buy your property for a fair cash price, even if it has back taxes. We will also handle all of the paperwork and closing costs, so you can sell your property with minimal hassle.
If you are looking for a way to sell your property quickly and easily, we encourage you to contact us today. We would be happy to answer your questions and make you a fair cash offer on your property.
Top Rated Local Cash Home Buyers in Tampa
Sell your house without making any repairs. We’ll purchase your home or condo as-is, allowing you to take what’s most important to you and leaving the rest for us to handle!
We’ll buy any home (yes, even an inherited house you’ve discovered is a hoarder house) and eliminate the headaches and stress associated with a traditional home sale.
We Buy Homes, Condos & Townhouses As-Is
We’ve got your back, helping you find the right way out, whatever your situation. Here are common reasons homeowners want to sell their house fast in Tampa, Florida.
Where We Buy Properties in Tampa
Looking to sell your property fast for cash in Tampa, Florida? We can help! We’re interested in buying properties of all types, from single-family homes to condos. Whether your property needs repairs or is in perfect condition, we’ll make you a fair cash offer.
- Apollo Beach
- Citrus Park
- East Lake-Orient Park
- Egypt Lake-Leto
- Fish Hawk
- Greater Northdale
- Lake Magdalene
- New Tampa (University)
- Palm River-Clair Mel
- Pebble Creek
- Plant City
- Progress Village
- Sun City Center
- Temple Terrace
- Town ‘n’ Country
- Belleair Shores
- Belleair Beach
- Belleair Bluffs
- Indian Shores
- Indian Rocks Beach
- Kenneth City
- Madeira Beach
- North Redington Beach
- Redington Beach
- Redington Shores
- Safety Harbor
- South Pasadena
- St. Petersburg
- Tarpon Springs
- Treasure Island